YELLOW – THREATENED – Purchased by Town of Southampton in 1913, exterior and interior restoration underway
The original station was erected on Tiana Beach in 1871. This “red house” type station was modified in 1887, and then in 1912 a Lorain-type station was added. This station was deactivated June 9, 1937, but was then reactivated from 1942 to 1944. It was during this latter service that the station was manned by an all African-American crew, just the second one, after Pea Island, N.C., so manned in the history of the Life-Saving Service and Coast Guard. The station was abandoned in 1946, and by the end of the decade had become the Southampton Beach Club. It remained a beach club under a variety of names, the latest being the Neptune Beach Club, until December 11, 1913 when it was purchased by the Town of Southampton.
Current plans are to restore the building to its 1912 condition.
From the Town of Southampton website (see link below):
The first-phase of the renovation was demolition of non-historic additions. The second-phase of the renovation process included restoration and structural repairs. The third-and-final phase will include design of both the interior and exterior of the building. Future uses of the building include a self-guided exhibit about the men who manned it as well as a small concession and outside deck area. Once completed and open to the Public, the site will be managed by the Parks and Recreation Department. It is expected to be open to the public during the summer of 2019.
Town of Southampton Community Projects (construction schedule and additional photos): http://southamptontownny.gov/948/Community-Projects