Top Menu

Gilbert’s Bar House of Refuge (1876)

Stuart, 
FL
Built: 1876
Building Still Survives: Yes
Open to the Public: Yes

Station closed in 1940 and used by the Navy as a patrol beach patrol station until 1945. Turned over to the Department of the Interior in 1952. Station house survives and was restored in 1975 as the Gilbert’s Bar House of Refuge, a museum.

Location

Gilbert's Bar House of Refuge

301 SE MacArthur Boulevard

Stuart, FL 34996

http://www.houseofrefugefl.org/


(772) 225-1875

Building Private Phone: NA

Visiting Information

Open to the Public: Yes

Hours Of Operation

Check with site for hours of operation

Building Information

Station Building ID:

266

Building Type:

Station House (House of Refuge)

Year Built:

1876

Built Before 1965:

Yes

Design Type:

House of Refuge

Designer:

Francis W. Chandler

Building Still Survives:

Yes

Condition:

Excellent

Integrity:

Unaltered

Endangered:

No

Nature of Threat:

NA

On Original Site:

Yes

Current Use:

Museum

Owner/Manager/Lessee & Contact Information

Owner

Historical Society of Martin County

825 Northeast Ocean Boulevard

Hutchinson Island

Stuart, FL 33494-1696

(772) 225-1961

[email protected]

http://www.elliottmuseumfl.org/

Owner Code: Nonprofit