Station closed in 1922 and turned over to GSA in 1955. Transferred to the United Cerebral Palsy Association in 1957. 1896 station house survives and is owned by the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia and is used as the Children’s Seashore House.
Site ID Number: 152
Site Category: Original Location
Site's Only Location: Yes
All Names: Absecon
Station Number in 1916-1939 Annual Reports: 124
Established Before 1965: Yes
Station Site Active: No
Year Established: 1855?
When Closed: 1917
Years Location Active: 1855?-1917 (Listed as an auxiliary station to Atlantic City LSS 1918-1921 and as inactive 1923-1941)
1855?-1917 (Listed as an auxiliary station to Atlantic City LSS 1918-1921 and as inactive 1923-1941)
Surviving Buildings and Site Notes
Surviving Station Houses:
1896 station house
Other Surviving Buildings and Structures:
Station Site Notes:
1872 will be completed by December 1st; 1878 repaired; 1896 old and inadequate station replaced; 1897 old inadequate stations rebuilt; 1917 station discontinued to become auxiliary to one or the other active adjacent stations (USLSS Annual Reports). In 1894 the U.S. acquired title to a tract of land containing 1/2 acre from the Atlantic City Land Company. Turned over to GSA in 1955. In 1957 the property was transferred to the United Cerebral Palsy Association for public health purposes (USCG Historian's Website).