Aransas Station Site (Port Aransas since 1940)
Port Aransas, TX
Also known as Aranzas Pass (1879-1882); Aransas (1883 or 1884-1939); Port Aransas (1940-present)
The Aransas Station Site (Port Aransas since 1940) site was established in 1879
Station still active. 1976 station house survives. 1879 station house destroyed by a hurricane in 1919. 1925? station house may have been torn down in 1976.
Station Site Notes:
1879 in the process of erection; 1880 manned and in operation; 1887 repairs made to boathouse; 1920 all buildings at station destroyed by hurricane of 9/14/1919 (USLSS Annual Reports). Station Port Aransas was established by an act of Congress in June, 1878. For 30 years it was on land owned by the state of Texas. In 1911 the present site was purchased by the U.S. Government at a price of $750.00. The station was destroyed during the hurricane of 1919 and was rebuilt; failure in the foundation of the building required its replacement in 1976. The new building?s look preserved the time-proven designs of the Texas coastal islands. Living quarters and administrative functions were divided into two separate pavilions covering an area of 20,500 square feet of floor space. This station was dedicated on November 19, 1976 (USCG Historian's Website).
Buildings at this Station Site
The 1976 station house is surviving at this site