Barnegat Station Site (Barnegat Light since 1969)

Long Beach Township, NJ

Also known as Barnegat (1855-1968); Barnegat Light (1969-present)

The Barnegat Station Site (Barnegat Light since 1969) site was established in 1938 (at this site, 1855 at original site)


This site was closed (in) 1972 (at this site, still active at current [3rd] site)


This site was moved in 1938. Moved to new [3rd] site in 1972 but retained name. Active from 1855 to 1938 at original site. (See Station ID # 140.1 and 140.3)


This is an active site from 1938-1972


Designation number: 113

Station closed in 1972 at this site and moved to a new location. 1938 station house survives at this site and is being restored by the Borough of Barnegat Light for use as its town hall.

Station Site Notes:

1878 repaired; 1884 rebuilt; 1905 improvements made; 1906 improvements completed; 1921 contract awarded for buildings removed to new site on account of encroachment of the sea, and repairs and improvements now being made to station building (USLSS Annual Reports).

Buildings at this Station Site

The 1938 station house is surviving at this site

View Buildings at this Station Site