Cape Henry Station Site
Virginia Beach, VA
Also known as Cape Henry
The Cape Henry Station Site site was established in 1875
Station closed in 1939. All station buildings were demolished by the Army at Fort Story (where the station was located) early in WW II to clear fields of fire for the fort?s harbor defense shore batteries.
Station Site Notes:
1874 erected; 1885 additions and repairs; 1904 contracts entered into for rebuilding the old station; 1905 nearing completion and will probably be ready for occupancy soon; 1906 rebuilding completed (USLSS Annual Reports). Part of station turned over to GSA in 1956. One acre tract of land transferred to the Department of the Army in 1956. The site originally occupied by the Cape Henry Station was apparently not owned by the U.S. There is no evidence of title to any land prior to 1903 (USCG Historian's Website).