Cape Lookout Station Site
Also known as Cape Lookout
The Cape Lookout Station Site site was established in 1887
Station closed in 1982. 1887 and 1917 station houses survive and are part of Cape Lookout National Seashore. 1917 station is used as the field station for the Cape Lookout Studies Program.
Station Site Notes:
1879 title secured; 1887 completed and will go into service during the present active season; 1888 put into operation; 1916 contract awarded for new buildings or extensive repair; 1917 dwelling rebuilt (USLSS Annual Reports). Station was conveyed to the State of North Carolina in 1957 (USCG Historian's Website).
Buildings at this Station Site
The 1917 station house; 1887 station house (moved to a new site on Cape Lookout) is surviving at this site