Charleston Station Site
Also known as USCG Base Charleston (1914-1993); Charleston (1994-present)
The Charleston Station Site site was established in 1994 (1914?)
Station still active. Station house, which was built in 1859 as a storehouse (the Rice Mill Building), survives.
Station Site Notes:
Coast Guard Charleston Base was first commissioned at its present site in 1914. The government purchased the land from West Point Mill Company, Andrew B. Murry, and the City of Charleston. The station house was the former Rice Mill building, a three story, +30,000 square feet, heavy timber structure with exterior brick walls built in 1859. The land was dedicated to the U.S. Lighthouse Service and originally was used as a buoy depot. The U.S. Coast Guard absorbed the U.S. Lighthouse Service in 1939, including Base Charleston (Station Website).
Buildings at this Station Site
The 1859 station house is surviving at this site