Charlotte Station Site

Irondequoit, NY

Also known as Charlotte (1875-1944); Rochester (1944-present)

The Charlotte Station Site site was established in 1878 (at this site, 1876 at original site)


This site was closed (in) 1885 (at this site, still active at current [3rd] site)


This site was moved in 1885. Moved to new [3rd] site in 1885 but retained name. Active from 1876 to 1878 at original site. (See Station ID # 312.1 and 312.3)


This is an active site from 1878-1885


Designation number: NA (233 at 2nd site)

Station closed in 1885 at this site and moved to a new location. 1876 station house moved (a second time) to new site. No station buildings survive at this site.

Station Site Notes:

1874 site secured, plans and specs being prepared; 1875 contract entered into, building rapidly progressing; 1876 completed and put into operation; 1887 repairs made to boathouse; 1904 repairs and improvements; 1905 improvements made (USLSS Annual Reports). 1878 new station built on the Government Dock near the lighthouse; 11/20/1885 station moved to Lake Beach near the East Pier in Summerland, later called Summerville; 1897 new tower completed; in 1985 the station renovated and the boathouse enlarged to enclose the 44 foot motor lifeboat for winter maintenance; a schooner hit the lookout tower in the fall of 1896 and destroyed it. The new tower was completed July, 1897; The new station opened June 6, 1939 (USCG Historian's Website).

Buildings at this Station Site

There are no surviving station houses at this site.

View Buildings at this Station Site