Charlotte Station Site

Irondequoit, NY

Also known as Charlotte (1875-1944); Rochester (1944-present)

The Charlotte Station Site site was established in 1885 (at this site, 1876 at original site)


This site was moved in 1918. Active from 1876 to 1878 at original site, and from 1878 to 1885 at second site. (See Station ID # 312.1, and 312.2)


This is an active site from 1885-present


Designation number: 233

Station still active at this site. 1876 torn down in 1918. 1904 station house and was probably torn down in 1939 when a new station house was built. 1939 station house survives.

Station Site Notes:

1874 site secured, plans and specs being prepared; 1875 contract entered into, building rapidly progressing; 1876 completed and put into operation; 1887 repairs made to boathouse; 1904 repairs and improvements; 1905 improvements made (USLSS Annual Reports). 1878 new station built on the Government Dock near the lighthouse; 11/20/1885 station moved to Lake Beach near the East Pier in Summerland, later called Summerville; 1897 new tower completed; in 1985 the station renovated and the boathouse enlarged to enclose the 44 foot motor lifeboat for winter maintenance; a schooner hit the lookout tower in the fall of 1896 and destroyed it. The new tower was completed July, 1897; The new station opened June 6, 1939 (USCG Historian's Website).

Buildings at this Station Site

The 1939 station house is surviving at this site

View Buildings at this Station Site