Charlotte Station Site
Also known as Charlotte (1875-1944); Rochester (1944-present)
The Charlotte Station Site site was established in 1876
Station closed in 1878 at this site and moved to a new location. 1876 station house moved to new site and torn down in 1918. No station buildings survive at this site.
Station Site Notes:
1874 site secured, plans and specs being prepared; 1875 contract entered into, building rapidly progressing; 1876 completed and put into operation; 1887 repairs made to boathouse; 1904 repairs and improvements; 1905 improvements made (USLSS Annual Reports). 1878 new station built on the Government Dock near the lighthouse; 11/20/1885 station moved to Lake Beach near the East Pier in Summerland, later called Summerville; 1897 new tower completed; in 1985 the station renovated and the boathouse enlarged to enclose the 44 foot motor lifeboat for winter maintenance; a schooner hit the lookout tower in the fall of 1896 and destroyed it. The new tower was completed July, 1897; The new station opened June 6, 1939 (USCG Historian's Website).
Buildings at this Station Site
There are no surviving station houses at this site.