Chatham Station Site

Chatham, MA

Also known as Chatham

The Chatham Station Site site was established in 1914 (at this site, 1873 at original site)


This site was closed (in) 1946 (at this site, still active at current [3rd] site)


This site was moved in 1949. Moved to new [3rd] site in 1946 but retained name. Active from 1873 to 1914 at original site. (See Station ID # 55.1 and 55.3)


This is an active site from 1914-1949


Designation number: 42

Station closed in 1949 at this site and moved to a new [3rd] location. Station house does not survive but 1937 Equipment Building and 1934 boathouse do survive.

Station Site Notes:

1872 site selected and in the process of construction; 1873 completed and equipped 1/1873; 1880 moved to new site due to coastal erosion; 1886/1887 contracts entered into for repairs and enlargements; 1888 extensive repairs and enlargements made; 1914 moved to new site due to storm damage, new buildings necessary; 1915 station rebuilt on new site; 1916 launching facilities extensively improved (USLSS Annual Reports). First keeper appointed 12/12/1872; station moved in 1880, transferred to Fish and Wildlife Service in 1955. New Chatham Station still in operation in 1977 (USCG Historian's Website). 1934 Morris Island boathouse completed; late 1940s moved to present location (Tim Dring).

Buildings at this Station Site

There are no surviving station houses at this site.

View Buildings at this Station Site