Chatham Station Site

Chatham, MA

Also known as Chatham

The Chatham Station Site site was established in 1949 (at this site, 1873 at original site)


This site was moved in NA. Active from 1873 to 1914 at original site, and from 1914 to 1949 at second site. (See Station ID # 55.1 and 55.2). This was as a "combination" lifeboat and light station with the Chatham Lighthouse from 1946 when the lifeboat crew moved to the station until 1982 when the light was automated. The crew manned the lifeboats and the light.


This is an active site from 1949-present


Designation number: NA

Station still active at this site. 1877 station house survives.

Station Site Notes:

1872 site selected and in the process of construction; 1873 completed and equipped 1/1873; 1880 moved to new site due to coastal erosion; 1886/1887 contracts entered into for repairs and enlargements; 1888 extensive repairs and enlargements made; 1914 moved to new site due to storm damage, new buildings necessary; 1915 station rebuilt on new site; 1916 launching facilities extensively improved (USLSS Annual Reports). First keeper appointed 12/12/1872; station moved in 1880, transferred to Fish and Wildlife Service in 1955. New Chatham Station still in operation in 1977 (USCG Historian's Website). 1934 Morris Island boathouse completed; late 1940s moved to present location (Tim Dring).

Buildings at this Station Site

The 1877 station house (built by US Lighthouse Service) is surviving at this site

View Buildings at this Station Site