Chatham Station Site
Also known as Chatham
The Chatham Station Site site was established in 1873
Station closed in 1914 at this site and moved to a new location. No station buildings survive at this site.
Station Site Notes:
1872 site selected and in the process of construction; 1873 completed and equipped 1/1873; 1880 moved to new site due to coastal erosion; 1886/1887 contracts entered into for repairs and enlargements; 1888 extensive repairs and enlargements made; 1914 moved to new site due to storm damage, new buildings necessary; 1915 station rebuilt on new site; 1916 launching facilities extensively improved (USLSS Annual Reports). First keeper appointed 12/12/1872; station moved in 1880, transferred to Fish and Wildlife Service in 1955. New Chatham Station still in operation in 1977 (USCG Historian's Website). 1934 Morris Island boathouse completed; late 1940s moved to present location (Tim Dring).
Buildings at this Station Site
There are no surviving station houses at this site.