Coos Bay Station Site

Charleston, OR

Also known as Cape Arago (1879-1902); Coos Bay (1903-present)

The Coos Bay Station Site site was established in 1982 (at this site, 1879 at original site)


This site was moved in NA. Active from 1897 to 1891 at original site, from 1891 to 1916 at second site, and from 1916 to 1982 at third site. (See Station ID # 414.1, 414.2, and 414.3)


This is an active site from 1982-present


Designation number: 316 (320)

Station still active. 1982 station house survives.

Station Site Notes:

1890 under contract or construction (USLSS Annual Reports). Station built in 1878; The first life saving station on the Oregon Coast was built in late 1878, two miles southwest of Cape Arago. The station was moved from Lighthouse Island to the North Spit of Coos Bay in July of 1891. Since the station had moved quite far away from Cape Arago, the name was actually a misnomer and this issue was addressed in 1902 when the station was renamed; The original station was turned over to GSA in 1955.?A new Cape Arago station is still in operation and is now designated Station Coos Bay (USCG Historian's Website). The U.S. Navy occupied the site of the second station in 1941 and used it as a direction finder station during World War II. At the end of the war it was returned to the Coast Guard and in 1953 sold to a private party as surplus. The station house burned around 1967 (David Pinyerd).

Buildings at this Station Site

The 1982 station house is surviving at this site

View Buildings at this Station Site