Dam Neck Mills Station Site
Virginia Beach, VA
Also known as Dam Neck Mills
The Dam Neck Mills Station Site site was established in 1874
Station closed in 1938 and in 1951 was transferred to the Navy for use as a naval anti-aircraft training and test center by the Navy Fleet Training Center. 1874 station house torn down after 1917. 1898 station house torn down in 1958 by the Navy.
Station Site Notes:
1874 erected; 1885 additions and repairs; 1897 are in the process of reconstruction; 1920 contract awarded for construction of stables (USLSS Annual Reports). In 1881 Virginia granted a patent of this site to the U.S. for use as a life?saving station. Station became inactive in 1938. In 1951 Virginia executed a deed in which the subject property was conveyed to the U.S. for use as a naval anti-aircraft training and test center under the jurisdiction of the Department of the Navy (USCG Historian's Website).
Buildings at this Station Site
There are no surviving station houses at this site.