Ditch Plain Station Site
East Hampton, NY
Also known as Ditch Plain
The Ditch Plain Station Site site was established in 1855
Station closed in 1955 and turned over to GSA in 1956. Station site owned by the Town of East Hampton and is a public beach. 1930s station house and Equipment Building survive but both been moved off site to different locations. Site partially underwater.
Station Site Notes:
Spring 1871 (1872?) repaired and enlarged; 1878 repaired; 1886 reconstructed and enlarged (USLSS Annual Reports). Station was listed as inactive in 1934, but was back on the active list in 1935. In 1937, the station boathouse was demolished during the September 1938 hurricane. The station remained open continuously until the outbreak of World War II and was still in operation in 1945. The station disappears from list of active stations in January 1956 (USCG Historian's Website).
Buildings at this Station Site
The None at this site. 1930s station house moved to new site at Montauk CG Station in 1954. is surviving at this site