Far Rockaway Station Site
Also known as Hog Island (west end) (1872-1882); Far Rockaway (1883-1890)
The Far Rockaway Station Site site was established in 1872
Station closed in 1890. No station buildings survive at this site.
Station Site Notes:
1872 completed and with apparatus; 1878 repaired?; 1882 moved 2000 feet to new site due to coastal erosion; 1887 rebuilding; 1888 rebuilding completed; 1889 moved because of encroachment of the sea (USLSS Annual Reports). Station is believed to have been destroyed by a sudden gale while being moved across the water to a new site in 1892, but this is not certain (USCG Historian's Website).
Buildings at this Station Site
There are no surviving station houses at this site.