Fishers Island Station Site
Also known as Fishers Island
The Fishers Island Station Site site was established in 1988 (at this site, 1849? [1904?] at original site) (see note below on station establishment in Construction Research Notes)
Station still active at this site. 1988 station house survives and is a seasonal (small) station under Station New London.
Station Site Notes:
Note: Although a USLSS boathouse was built on Fishers island in 1849?, it was closed before 1871 and the station was not listed as active until the construction of a new station house in 1904. 1901 site selected for new station; 1902 plans and specifications being prepared for new station; 1903 contract awarded; 1904 new station established; 1916 launching facilities extensively repaired (USLSS Annual Reports). Moved to new site on Silver Eel Pond from East Harbor on October 14, 1956. Station commissioning on October 26, 1956 "climaxed a complete remodeling which began last February." (The Day Newspaper 10/27/1956). The coast guard also took over three Fort Wright residences across Silver Eel Pond for personnel and another two-family brick house near the station house.
Buildings at this Station Site
The 1988 station house is surviving at this site