Fishers Island Station Site
Also known as Fishers Island
The Fishers Island Station Site site was established in 1849? (1904?) (see note below on station establishment in Construction Research Notes)
Station closed before 1871 at this site. No station buildings survive.
Station Site Notes:
Note: Although a USLSS boathouse was built on Fishers island in 1849?, it was closed before 1871 and the station was not listed as active until the construction of a new station house in 1904. 1901 site selected for new station; 1902 plans and specifications being prepared for new station; 1903 contract awarded; 1904 new station established; 1916 launching facilities extensively repaired (USLSS Annual Reports). Moved to new site on Silver Eel Pond from East Harbor on October 14, 1956. Station commissioning on October 26, 1956 "climaxed a complete remodeling which began last February." (The Day Newspaper 10/27/1956). The coast guard also took over three Fort Wright residences across Silver Eel Pond for personnel and another two-family brick house near the station house.
Buildings at this Station Site
There are no surviving station houses at this site.