Fort Lauderdale (House of Refuge) Station Site

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Also known as Fort Lauderdale

The Fort Lauderdale (House of Refuge) Station Site site was established in 1875


This site was closed (in) 1930 (at this site, between 2005 and 2007 at last [3rd] site)


This is an active site from 1875-1930


This is the original site location


Designation number: 208

Station closed in 1930 at this site and moved to a new location after 1875 station house was destroyed by a hurricane that year. Responsibilities transferred to Base Six.

Station Site Notes:

1875 contract entered into, building rapidly progressing; 1876 in the process of equipment; 1882 extensive repairs (USLSS Annual Reports). Destroyed by the Hurricane of 1930; The Fort Lauderdale site was reserved from the public domain for lifesaving purposes, by Executive Order dated August 2, 1875. The original site comprised approximately 14 acres. The first keeper was appointed October 7, 1876; as of 1929 the station was listed as a House of Refuge under the operational control of "Base Six." Coast Guard Base Six was located on the southern end of the Fort Lauderdale Site, north of the New River Inlet, out through in 1922. The Base was established on June 9, 1924, and was occupied by 33 men from the Coast Guard Cutter Yamacraw in September 1924 (USCG Historian's Website).

Buildings at this Station Site

There are no surviving station houses at this site.

View Buildings at this Station Site