Fort Lauderdale Station Site
Dania Beach, FL
Also known as Fort Lauderdale
The Fort Lauderdale Station Site site was established in 1975 (at this site, 1875 at original site)
Station closed between 2005 and 2007 at this site. Fate of 1975 station house unknown.
Station Site Notes:
1875 contract entered into, building rapidly progressing; 1876 in the process of equipment; 1882 extensive repairs (USLSS Annual Reports). Destroyed by the Hurricane of 1930; The Fort Lauderdale site was reserved from the public domain for lifesaving purposes, by Executive Order dated August 2, 1875. The original site comprised approximately 14 acres. The first keeper was appointed October 7, 1876; as of 1929 the station was listed as a House of Refuge under the operational control of "Base Six." Coast Guard Base Six was located on the southern end of the Fort Lauderdale Site, north of the New River Inlet, out through in 1922. The Base was established on June 9, 1924, and was occupied by 33 men from the Coast Guard Cutter Yamacraw in September 1924 (USCG Historian's Website).
Buildings at this Station Site
It is unknown if there are surviving station houses at this site.