Frankfort Station Site

Elberta, MI

Also known as Frankfort

The Frankfort Station Site site was established in 1937 (at this site, 1888 at original site)


This site was moved in NA. Active from 1886 to 1937 at original site. (See Station ID # 362.1)


This is an active site from 1937-present


Designation number: 277 (263)

Station still active at this site. 1937 station house is owned by the City of Frankfort, MI which obtained it from the federal government through the Land to Parks program. It?s leased to the Crystal Lake Arts Center and is being renovated as an art center. 2004 station house survives.

Station Site Notes:

1883 site selected; 1884 title secured, plans and specifications being prepared; 1885 being erected; 1886 being constructed; 1887 completed and put into service (USLSS Annual Reports). Transferred to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers; in 1929 it was proposed locating the station on the north side of the harbor entrance. The new site was conveyed by deed dated January 25, 1929 from the Ann Arbor Railroad Company. The old site was used on a lease basis until sufficient funds for buildings on the new site became available. On March 31, 1934, the Railroad conveyed a site containing 2.7 acres in exchange for the site chosen in 1929; new, smaller stations will be built in Manistee, Ludington and Frankfort. The stations are scheduled to open in January or February of 2003 (USCG Historian's Website).

Buildings at this Station Site

The 1937 station house, 2003 station house is surviving at this site

View Buildings at this Station Site