Grand Isle Station Site
Grand Isle, LA
Also known as Barataria Bay (1919-1920) Barataria (1923-1935); Grand Isle (1935-present)
The Grand Isle Station Site site was established in 1968 (at this site, 1919 at original site)
Station still active at this site. 1968 station house survives.
Station Site Notes:
1917 site obtained for new station; 1918 construction work begun; 1919 station completed (USLSS Annual Reports). The first Coast Guard unit in the Grand Isle area was commissioned in 1919 as Barataria Bay Station 214; The current station of Grand Isle was commissioned on November 1, 1968 as Coast Guard Group Grand Isle which also included a LORAN "A" Station and Rescue Small Boat Station. The LORAN Station was closed on December 31, 1980; Coast Guard Station Grand Isle is situated on the eastern end of a barrier island. The original tract, partly salt marsh, consisting of 24.8 acres, was acquired in 1965. The beach area now is the site of Grand Isle State Park; The Coast Guard made an administrative consolidation of the units in this area and reassigned all units to Coast Guard Group New Orleans. On July 2, 1987, Group Grand Isle was decommissioned leaving only Station Grand Isle and POINT SAL located in Grand Isle; Coast Guard Station Grand Isle encompasses 29 acres and 35,000 square feet of operational and multi-purpose buildings (USCG Historian's Website).
Buildings at this Station Site
The 1968 station house is surviving at this site