Great Egg (Longport, NJ) Station Site
Also known as Great Egg (Longport, NJ). Great Egg Station in Longport, NJ (which active from 1888 to 1947) was not the same station as Great Egg Station in Ocean City, NJ (which was renamed Great Egg in 1964).
The Great Egg (Longport, NJ) Station Site site was established in 1849
Station closed in 1888 at this site and moved to a new location. 1849 station house survives but has been moved off site.
Station Site Notes:
1872 will be completed by December 1st; 1878 repaired; 1888 rebuilding; 1889 station completed (USLSS Annual Reports). Station closed in 1947 and was abandoned in 1948 and sold to the Borough of Longport, for use as its municipal hall. In 1990, the borough moved their facilities into the newly remodeled Betty Bacharach building immediately to the north. In 1994, the borough leased the building to the Longport Historical Society and Museum (Great Egg CG Station National Register Nomination).
Buildings at this Station Site
The None at this site. 1849 station house moved to new site in Atlantic City. is surviving at this site