Harbor Beach Station Site
Harbor Beach, MI
Also known as Sand Beach Harbor (1878-1882); Sand Beach (1883-1902); Harbor Beach (1903-present)
The Harbor Beach Station Site site was established in 1987 (at this site, 1881 at original site)
Station still active at this site. 1987 station house survives.
Station Site Notes:
1878 work to start spring 1879; 1879 sites selected and title secured; 1881 erected and put into operation; 1914 breakwater destroyed and boathouse wrecked by storm; 1915 breakwater rebuilt and boathouse repaired (USLSS Annual Reports). Station was moved in 1898; Turned over to GSA in 1958 (USCG Historian's Website). Original lifeboat station was established in 1881, known as ?Sand Beach?. Station was moved in 1898 and renamed Station Harbor Beach. It was closed on April 1, 1973. During the Second World War, the facilities were enlarged to allow for the training of new recruits. Station Harbor Beach was a seasonal station only open in the summer time. It will become fully operational and open year round in the summer of 2004. 1958 original location closed (Tim Dring).
Buildings at this Station Site
The 1987 station building is surviving at this site