Hatteras Inlet Station Site
Also known as Ocracoke (1882-1902); Hatteras Inlet (1903-present)
The Hatteras Inlet Station Site site was established in 1963 (at this site, 1882 at original site)
Station still active at this site. 1963 station house survives.
Station Site Notes:
1878 will soon be in operation (1882/1883?); 1885 additions and repairs (USLSS Annual Reports). Station Built: Original in 1883; second station built in 1917; Transferred to the National Park Service in 1957; The 1917 station washed away by sea encroachment in the 1950s. The current Coast Guard Station Hatteras Inlet was constructed in 1962; Station Hatteras Inlet maintains administrative and operational control of the subordinate unit Station Ocracoke (small) located on Ocracoke Island (USCG Historian's Website).
Buildings at this Station Site
The 1963 station house is surviving at this site