Hatteras Inlet Station Site

Frisco, NC

Also known as Ocracoke (1882-1902); Hatteras Inlet (1903-present)

The Hatteras Inlet Station Site site was established in 1882


This site was closed (in) 1917 (at this site, still active at current [4th] site).


This is an active site from 1882-1917


This is the original site location


Designation number: 186

Station closed in 1917 at this site and moved to a new location. 1882 station house and all other buildings at this site washed into the ocean.

Station Site Notes:

1878 will soon be in operation (1882/1883?); 1885 additions and repairs (USLSS Annual Reports). Station Built: Original in 1883; second station built in 1917; Transferred to the National Park Service in 1957; The 1917 station washed away by sea encroachment in the 1950s. The current Coast Guard Station Hatteras Inlet was constructed in 1962; Station Hatteras Inlet maintains administrative and operational control of the subordinate unit Station Ocracoke (small) located on Ocracoke Island (USCG Historian's Website).

Buildings at this Station Site

There are no surviving station houses at this site.

View Buildings at this Station Site