Hog Island Station Site
Also known as Hog Island
The Hog Island Station Site site was established in 1875
Station closed in 1951 and turned over to GSA in 1964. 1875 station house was washed into the ocean in 1898. 1898 station house does not survive. 1936 station house was destroyed by fire in 1987.
Station Site Notes:
1874 contract; 1875 erected; 1878 moved due to coastal erosion; 1879 hurricane damage repaired; 1889 moved because of encroachment of the sea; 1898 new building being constructed; 1899 rebuilt; 1921 repairs made to boathouse foundation (USLSS Annual Reports); Turned over to GSA in 1964; in 1878 the station was moved to a new site apparently to escape the encroachment of the sea. This was abandoned and in 1897 a new site was obtained (USCG Historian's Website).