Mackinac Island Station Site
City of Mackinac Island, MI
Also known as Mackinac Island
The Mackinac Island Station Site site was established in 1915
Station closed on August 28, 1968 and replaced by Station St. Ignace. 1915 station house survives and has been the Mackinac Island State Park Visitor’s Center since 1970.
Station Site Notes:
1914 plans for new station completed; 1916 station completed and put in commission (USLSS Annual Reports). Station was built on Michigan State Park land in 1915. By agreement, when it ceased operation in 1968 it reverted back to park ownership. The station was remodeled and opened as the Mackinac Island State Park Visitor's Center in 1970 (Steve Brisson, Mackinac State Historic Parks).
Buildings at this Station Site
The 1915 station house is surviving at this site