Manomet Point Station Site
Also known as Manomet Point
The Manomet Point Station Site site was established in 1874
Station closed in 1946 and turned over to GSA in 1955. 1874 station house and boatroom section of 1901 station survive but both have been moved off site to two different locations.
Station Site Notes:
1873 contracts for construction made; 1874 erected; 1901 dilapidated and antiquated old station replaced; 1919 auxiliary boathouse built at eastern end of entrance to Cape Cod Canal at Sandwich; 1923-1935(?) [1919-1935?] auxiliary boathouse built at eastern end of entrance to Cape Cod Canal at Sandwich (USLSS Annual Reports). First keeper appointed 10/15/1874; removed from list of stations in April 1947; Turned over to GSA 1955 (USCG Historian's Website). In 1917 an auxiliary boathouse for the Manomet LSS was established at the eastern entrance to the Cape Cod Canal. During the 1920s, a 36 ft motor lifeboat was stationed there since Manomet did not have a launchway sufficient for a boat of this size; placed on caretaker status in 1936 when Cape Cod Canal Station was built in 1936 (Tim Dring). When the Canal was widened in the mid 1930s, the land on which the boathouse sat was dredged, and a new station site (the present one) was established in a new location on the Canal (Station Cape Cod Canal Website).