Marblehead Station Site
Also known as Marblehead Point (1874-1882); Point Marblehead (1883-1902); Marblehead (1903-present)
The Marblehead Station Site site was established in 1876
Station still active. 1876 and 1921 station house do not survive, but 1981 station house survives.
Station Site Notes:
1874 site secured, plans and specs being prepared; 1875 contract entered into, building rapidly progressing; 1876 completed and put into operation; 1879 annex for boat wagons added; 1888 less extensive repairs made (USLSS Annual Reports). Marblehead Lifeboat Station was established on June 20, 1874. It is located in the village of Marblehead, near Lakeside, on the shore of Lake Erie in northern Ohio. Official opening of the station was in September 1876 with Lucien M. Clemons as the first keeper. A more modern station was built in 1921 and by the mid-1960s there were plans to enlarge the facilities in order to accommodate a growing number of crewmen (USCG Historian's Website).
Buildings at this Station Site
The 1981 station house is surviving at this site