Metomkin Inlet Station Site
Also known as Metomkin Inlet
The Metomkin Inlet Station Site site was established in 1936 (at this site, 1888 at original site)
Station closed on March 16, 1964 at this site and was given to the State of Virginia. 1936 Station house survives and is privately owned.
Station Site Notes:
1888 under contract for construction, to be put into operation before end of fiscal year; 1889 completed and put into operation; 1894 moved because of encroachment of the sea. (USLSS Annual Reports). Station given to Virginia in 1957. It became necessary to acquire a new site because of the encroachment of the sea upon the old station. A new site was acquired in 1894. Twenty years later this site also was encroached upon the sea and the station was in such danger that it had to be moved upon adjoining land in 1914. The present land site of 4.5 acres was acquired in 1914 and in 1933 and the present station was built in 1935. The station was removed from the list of active stations in late 1964 (USCG Historian's Website).
Buildings at this Station Site
The 1936 station house is surviving at this site