Monmouth Beach Station Site
Ocean Township, NJ
Also known as Monmouth Beach
The Monmouth Beach Station Site site was established in 1895 (at this site, 1848 at original site)
Station closed in 1963 at this site. 1895 station house survives at this site and is owned by the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection, which leases it to the Borough of Monmouth Beach for use as the Monmouth Beach Cultural Center.
Station Site Notes:
1878 repaired; 1882 extensively repaired and strengthened; 1895 new station built to replace old one, which was built many years ago and had become inadequate (USLSS Annual Reports). Turned over to GSA in 1964 (USCG Historian's Website). The Coast Guard occupied the station until the late 1950's. New Jersey Marine Police took over the station in the 1960's and remained there until 1993 when they ceased operations and the station was abandoned. The station was eventually restored as the Monmouth Beach Cultural Center and was dedicated on May 27, 2000 (Monmouth Beach Cultural Center Website).
Buildings at this Station Site
The 1895 station house is surviving at this site