Montauk Station Site
East Hampton, NY
Also known as Montauk
The Montauk Station Site site was established in 1955
Station still active. 1938 station house survives at this site.
Station Site Notes:
Instead of building a new structure, the station at Napeague would be closed and moved by barge to Lake Montauk. The entire operation took six months. While en route by barge from Napeague Bay, the station was blown onto a sand bar by a winter storm. There the barge remained for two months while tugs tried to free her and in July 1954 the voyage of Montauk Station ended. The building arrived in Lake Montauk after a half year odyssey. Another year of work lay ahead to mount the building on a foundation and construct workshops and a large pier. On October 1, 1955 Montauk Station was commissioned as an active unit of Moriches Group, which included Shinnecock and Moriches stations (USCG Historian's Website).
Buildings at this Station Site
The 1938 station house is surviving at this site