Muskegon Station Site
Also known as Muskegon
The Muskegon Station Site site was established in 1879
Station closed in 1990 and at this site moved to a new location nearby. 1905 station house survives and is the Lake Michigan Field Station of the Great Lakes Environmental Research Laboratory. Fate of 1879 station house unknown but it may have been torn down after a new station was built to replace it in 1905.
Station Site Notes:
1878 work to start spring 1879; 1879 completed; 1904 preparations made and contracts awarded for rebuilding old station; 1905 new station completed (USLSS Annual Reports). In 1903 the station buildings were in great danger of being washed away so a new site was acquired on the south side of the harbor. Land was conveyed by deed dated July 18, 1904 by the trustees of the Pere Marquette Railroad Co. (USCG Historian's Website).
Buildings at this Station Site
The 1905 station house is surviving at this site