Neah Bay Station Site
Neah Bay, WA
Also known as Neah Bay
The Neah Bay Station Site site was established in 1876
Station closed on December 17, 1890 and replaced by Waaddah Island Station. 1876 station house does not survive.
Station Site Notes:
1879 annex added; 1891 discontinued 12/17/1890 (USLSS Annual Reports). Established on land reserved to the Department of Interior. This station was disestablished and a new station was established at Waaddah Island in 1908, which is now called Neah Bay; Coast Guard Station Neah Bay is located at Baaddah Point near the Indian village of Neah Bay at Waaddah Island. The original station had been established on Waaddah Island in 1908, but only two years later it was moved to the mainland after large waves from the Pacific had destroyed its boat rails. The station had to retreat again after the storm of December 2, 1967, that badly damaged one rescue boat and swept away parts of the walkway leading to the moorings. The new station, 920 feet west, on less vulnerable land, was operational in 1972 (USCG Historian's Website).
Buildings at this Station Site
There are no surviving station houses at this site.