Newburyport Station Site
Also known as Plum Island (1874-1902); Newburyport (1903-1917); Merrimac River (1923-1973)
The Newburyport Station Site site was established in 1874
Station closed in 1973 and replaced by Station Merrimac River at a new location. 1874 station house survives at a new site and is privately owned. 1890 station house was intentionally burned down in ca. 1929 in a fire training exercise. 1929 station house was torn down in the 1960s.
Station Site Notes:
1873 contracts for construction made; 1874 erected; 1890 rebuilt; 1891 completed and put into operation (USLSS Annual Reports). First keeper appointed 10/29/1879?; station listed as an active station in 1945; Turned over to the Fish and Wildlife Service in 1946; abandoned in 1952 (USCG Historian's Website). 1881 moved to its present site (Vincent L. Wood).
Buildings at this Station Site
The 1874 station house is surviving at this site