Oak Island Station Site
Also known as Oak Island (east end) (1855-1882); Oak Island (1883-1922); Oak Island Beach (1923-1941)
The Oak Island Station Site site was established in 1855
Station closed in 1936. Turned over to GSA in 1954 and deeded to the town of Babylon. 1872 station house survives at this site and is the Oak Beach Community Center.
Station Site Notes:
1878 repaired, moved due to coastal erosion; 1886 contracts entered for repairs and enlargements; 1888 extensive repairs and enlargements made (USLSS Annual Reports). On January 16, 1918, permission was given by the town board of Babylon, New York to use a portion of the beach near the station for a boathouse. In 1948, the town of Babylon accepted the land back along with such buildings and improvements presently existing. The final portion was turned over to GSA in 1954 and deeded to the town of Babylon (USCG Historian's Website).
Buildings at this Station Site
The 1872 station house is surviving at this site