Oregon Inlet Station Site
Also known as Bodie's Island (1874-1882); Oregon Inlet (1883-1988)
The Oregon Inlet Station Site site was established in 1988 (at this site, 1874 at original site)
Station still active at this site. 1988 station house survives.
Station Site Notes:
1874 erected; 1885 additions and repairs; 1888 moved to new site; 1897 are in the process of reconstruction (USLSS Annual Reports). In 1873 Congress approved and appropriated funds for the building of 29 lifesaving stations, one of which was the Bodie Island Station, located on the south side of Oregon Inlet. In 1883, the station on the north side of Oregon Inlet (also known as Tommy?s Hummock) was officially named the Bodie Island Station and the "old" Bodie Island Station (south of the inlet) was renamed as the Oregon Inlet Station.; by 1888, the Oregon Inlet Station had to be relocated to a new site. It is assumed that this relocation was necessary because of the shifting of the Oregon Inlet channel to the south and the encroachment of the ocean from the east. The station was decommissioned and moved to a new "safe" location some 400 feet westward toward the sound (USCG Historian's Website).
Buildings at this Station Site
The 1988 station house is surviving at this site