Orleans Station Site
Also known as Orleans
The Orleans Station Site site was established in 1873
Station closed in 1947 and turned over to GSA in 1954?. Property transferred to the National Park Service as part of Cape Cod National Seashore. Station buildings demolished in 1961.
Station Site Notes:
1872 site selected and in the process of construction; 1873 completed and equipped 1/1873; 1886 and 1887 contracts entered into for repairs and enlargements; 1888 extensive repairs and enlargements made (USLSS Annual Reports). First keeper appointed 12/12/1872; 1933 WPA funds used to rebuild station buildings; station disappears from listing of lifeboat stations in 1947; property turned over to GSA in 1954 and transferred to the National Park Service in 1970 (USCG Historian's Website). 1872-1873 station house demolished in 1961 (Bill Burke, Cape Cod National Seashore).
Buildings at this Station Site
There are no surviving station houses at this site.