Parramore Beach Station Site

Wachapreague, VA

Also known as Parramore's Beach (1884-1886); Parramore Beach (1897-2003); Wachapreague (2004-present)

The Parramore Beach Station Site site was established in 1937 (at this site, 1883 at original site)


This site was closed (in) 1995 (at this site, still active at current [3rd] site)


This site was moved in NA. Moved to new [3rd] site in 1995? but retained name. Active from 1883 to 1937 at original site. (See Station ID # 189.1 and 189.3)


This is an active site from 1937-1994


Designation number: 154

Station closed in 1995 at this site and moved to a new location. Station site turned over to The Nature Conservancy, Virginia Coast Reserve. Station house does not survives but 1936 boathouse and garage do.

Station Site Notes:

1883 approaching completion; 1884 completed (USLSS Annual Reports). The station was established in 1883 and rebuilt in 1937. The original station building was abandoned in 1940, but the new facility had already taken over operations. After its disestablishment as a lifeboat station, the facility was entrusted to the Nature Conservancy which had purchased most of the island in 1973. The former Coast Guard station was destroyed by fire in April 1989 (USCG Historian's Website).

Buildings at this Station Site

There are no surviving station houses at this site.

View Buildings at this Station Site