Pea Island Station Site
Also known as Pea Island
The Pea Island Station Site site was established in 1932 (at this site, 1878 at original site)
Station closed on March 18, 1947 at this site and turned over to the Fish and Wildlife Service as part of Pea Island Migratory Waterfowl Refuge. 1932 station house moved off site and is the Hatteras Watersports store.
Station Site Notes:
1878 will soon be in operation (1882-1883?); 1880 destroyed by fire 5/29/1879; stable to serve as temporary station; 1881 completed early winter 1880-1881 (USLSS Annual Reports). Station decommissioned in 1947; by deed dated 11 June 1930 a new site containing 10 acres and more conveniently located was acquired from the trustees of the Pea Island Club. The consideration for this conveyance was the formal abandonment of all the property on the island which had been used for lifesaving or Coast Guard purposes up to that time. Declarations of Abandonment of the site acquired in 1896 and the site and easement acquired in 1908 were executed and recorded. The station was disestablished on 18 March 1947 and in 1949 the station was turned over to the Fish and Wildlife Service, Department of the Interior, for use in connection with the Pea Island Migratory Waterfowl Refuge; The station's boathouse was moved in 1948 by contractor "Ferrebee" to Oregon Inlet Lifeboat Station for use as a garage and repair shop. The Board of Survey recommended that the lookout tower be left in place and retained in service "to house present Coast Guard telephone Communication system outlet and to serve as occasions [sic] demand as shelter for use by Stations performing assistance work in this area" (USCG Historian's Website).
Buildings at this Station Site
The None at this site. 1932 station house moved to new site in Salvo. is surviving at this site