Point Adams Station Site

Hammond, OR

Also known as Point Adams

The Point Adams Station Site site was established in 1889


This site was closed (in) ca. 1963


This is an active site from 1889-1964


This is the original site location


Designation number: 311 (326)

Station closed in 1964 and was purchased in 1969 by the National Marine Fisheries Service for use as a research station. 1939 station house survives and is the Point Adams Research Station, a marine research facility. 1889 station does not survive.

Station Site Notes:

1889 in the process of construction; 1890 constructed and put into operation; 1914 boathouse and launchway moved due to serious erosion of site by storm; 1915 boathouse moved to a new location and launchway rebuilt (USLSS Annual Reports). Station built in 1889; The station was established in 1888, built in 1889 and was placed in active service in December of 1889. The boathouse was situated to the west of the living quarters and was one story with two bays; Point Adams Station was so badly affected by erosion in 1913-1914 that it was necessary to move the boathouse to another location. Between 1905 and 1923 another boathouse was also added to the station. This one was built on piles in the Columbia River. The next major modification came in 1938 when the main station house was replaced by a Roosevelt-type building as a PWA project beginning in October of 1938 and was in use the following year. A new boathouse was also constructed during this time. At some point in the 1930s, all stations were renumber "for aviation purposes" and Point Adams was designated as Coast Guard Station No. 326; in January of 1967 the Coast Guard decided to close the lifeboat station although one source notes that it may have been closed as early as 1963. Its Search and Rescue responsibilities were taken over by the station at Cape Disappointment. The Port Adams Station buildings were then used by the Clatsop Community College before the National Marine Fisheries Service bought the station and surrounding land from the Coast Guard (USCG Historian's Website).

Buildings at this Station Site

The 1939 station house is surviving at this site

View Buildings at this Station Site