Popes Island Station Site
Also known as Pope's Island (1878-1890); Popes Island (1891-1954)
The Popes Island Station Site site was established in 1878
Station closed in 1953. Turned over to GSA in 1965 and transferred to the Fish and Wildlife Service in 1966 as part of Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge. 1884 boathouse moved to the site of the North Beach Station and used as an interpretive center for Assateague Island National Seashore.