Port Austin Station Site
Port Austin Township, MI
Also known as Port Austin (1878-1882); Grindstone City (1883-1902); Port Austin (1903-1938)
The Port Austin Station Site site was established in 1897 (at this site, 1881 at original site)
Station closed in 1922 at this site. Station house survives and is privately owned.
Station Site Notes:
1878 work to start spring 1879; 1879 title secured; 1881 completed; 1914 boathouse and pier destroyed by storm (USLSS Annual Reports). Discontinued in 1939 (USCG Historian's Website).
Buildings at this Station Site
The 1878 station house is surviving at this site