Quoddy Head Station Site
Also known as West Quoddy Head (1874-1882); Quoddy Head (1883-1970)
The Quoddy Head Station Site site was established in 1918 (at this site, 1874 at original site)
Station closed in 1970 at this site and replaced by Station Eastport. 1918 Station house survives and is privately owned.
Station Site Notes:
1918 contract awarded for building new dwelling; 1919 station rebuilt (USLSS Annual Reports). Station remained on the list of active stations until 7/1/1970 (USCG Historian's Website). Abandoned in 1971; property deeded to the State of Maine for educational purposes in 1974 for use as the boat building School of Eastport?s Washington County Technical College until 1981. Station then turned over to West Quoddy Biological Research Station. Abandoned in the early 1990s. 10 acres and 4 buildings acquired out of bankruptcy in the late 1990?s. In May of 2000, station house and 2 outbuildings on 5 acres were purchased by present owner. Restoration of the station house and outbuildings completed in 2003 (Station owner).
Buildings at this Station Site
The 1918 station house is surviving at this site