Rockaway Station Site
Far Rockaway, NY
Also known as Rockaway Beach (east end) (1872-1882); Rockaway (1883-1922); Rockaway Point (1923-1939); Rockaway (1940-Present)
The Rockaway Station Site site was established in 1999 (at this site, 1872 at original site)
Station still active at this site. 1999? station house survives and is a seasonal (small) station.
Station Site Notes:
1878 repaired; 1886 contracts entered for repairs and enlargements; 1888 extensive repairs and enlargements made; 1912 contract entered for rebuilding old station; 1913 work completed. 1916 building to a new site (USLSS Annual Reports). The station is listed as "discontinued as an active unit" in 1922 and carried as such until 1934, when it disappeared from the records. From this point forward, the Rockaway Point station was referred to as Rockaway. In 1942 the station was relocated from the ocean side of the Rockaway area to the projected inlet side, at the foot of Marine Parkway Bridge, about a mile away from the original site (USCG Historian's Website).