Sabine Pass Station Site
Sabine Pass (Port Arthur), TX
Also known as Sabine Pass (1879-1935); Sabine (1936-present)
The Sabine Pass Station Site site was established in 1879
Station closed in 1904 this site and moved to a new location. 1879 station house was destroyed by fire in 1904.
Station Site Notes:
1879 in the process of erection; 1880 manned and in operation; 1902 new station in a new location in advanced state of construction; 1903 wharf completed and building of new station well underway; 1904 new station completed; 1905 improvements made (USLSS Annual Reports). Station built in 1879; Turned over to GSA in 1955; The structure known as the Old Lifeboat Station was built across from the lighthouse on the Texas side of the pass and was in operation by 1879. The station was destroyed by fire in 1904 but a new station was built in its place; The station was abandoned by the Coast Guard in 1954.?A new station was established at the former Quarantine Station, about 0.75 miles from Old Sabine (USCG Historian's Website).
Buildings at this Station Site
There are no surviving station houses at this site.