San Luis Station Site
Port Bolivar?, TX
Also known as Galveston, west end (1879-1882); San Luis (1883-ca. 1945)
The San Luis Station Site site was established in 1879
Station closed ca. 1945 and abandoned in 1950. 1879 station house destroyed by a hurricane in August 1915. 1916 station house burned down in 1946.
Station Site Notes:
1879 in the process of erection; 1880 manned and in operation; 1887 repairs made to station; 1916 new building (station?) erected; 1917 station rebuilt on steel pilings elevated to clear high water during hurricanes to replace one destroyed in a hurricane (USLSS Annual Reports). Station was destroyed in a hurricane; site was abandoned in 1950 (USCG Historian's Website).
Buildings at this Station Site
There are no surviving station houses at this site.